- 2001 MAR 07 -


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

01-03-07          Ö..

             Just before lunch, John GARSTANG called about several things.  He has received the table, but would like the dates that the photos were taken added to it.  As well, he wants Ted PARISEE to add the thumbnails as indicated in the table into the MD-11 tour with the details.  As well, John is concerned about post March 15th work, and is sending down an email in that regards, and would like me to send up a list of tasks and proposed times.  The Ottawa note-trip still seems set for the first week of April.  I informed him of the results of the T-Shirt, and he was again very pleased.  I told him I would send him something in writing on the matter.  I also told him that I had found the photos that we had taken of the galley ceiling area by laying on the floor (roll #36 from Trip #2).  He asked that they be made available to Ted so that he can use Quickstitch to put them together and add them to the MD-11 tour. 

             The email he sent is as follows:

From: "Garstang, John" <>      To: 'Juby Tom' <>

Cc: "Ferguson, William" <>, "Landriault, Louis" <>

Subject: FW: RCMP Assistance: Sgt. Juby                      Date:  Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:39:55 -0500


Could I get an update from you on the tasks.  We need to do a time line update, and account for the time spent on the new requests, storms, your vehicle break down, etc.  As per the Email below, I have to draw something up for Vic by tomorrow, or Friday at the latest, so that he can update Insp. Lathem.     Thanks


 > -----Original Message-----

> From:           Gerden, Vic                > Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 9:58 PM

> To:    Garstang, John; Snow, Eric    > Cc:   Garstang, John; Garstang, Lee; Vance, Larry

> Subject:        RE: RCMP Assistance: Sgt. Juby

> Insp Lathem has agreed to allow Sgt Juby to stay in Hangar A until the 15th of March.  If there are still tasks remaining that will require Sgt Juby to remain located in the Hangar, we will need to assemble an updated list of such tasks remaining and I can call Insp Lathem on Monday 12 March 01 to discuss and then fax a follow-up letter. Hopefully, Sgt Juby's tasks can be prioritized so that those tasks remaining after mid March will be of a lower priority. 

> Eric: could you please liaise with John and draft the response if/as required. Thanks.

> Vic

>  -----Original Message-----

> From:           Garstang, John      Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 5:09 PM

> To:    Gerden, Vic      Cc:   Vance, Larry; Snow, Eric; Garstang, Lee

> Subject:        RE: RCMP Assistance: Sgt. Juby           Importance:  High

> Vic,

> I noticed that you did not include the request that Sgt. Juby's move out of the hangar not commence until after mid March to facilitate efficient completion of work currently in progress.  It may be that you have discussed this with Inspector Lathem and determined that this is not a problem.  If not, I think it is important to reiterate that if Sgt. Juby is instructed to move prior to completing the work currently in progress, I have no confidence that he will complete this work within the time we have requested.  The time estimate I put forward is based on using the efficient equipment/production line setup currently in place in the hangar, devoting all of Sgt. Juby's time on these tasks (not on anything else), not encountering any significant problems (e.g. illnesses, etc.), and allowing Sgt. Juby to directly work with others in the hangar in the manner he does now.  Sgt. Juby has a lot of items in the hangar setup in a unique manner, and to disrupt work now to try and start a move, in whole or in part, would be counterproductive.  Just like us during our move, Sgt. Juby's two computers may have to be debugged, etc., with no guarantees that they will necessarily work properly at first try after being disconnected, transported and reconnected.  I know our people in the hangar will try to help (at least to some extent) if a move starts, out of common courtesy, even though we cannot afford the time to do so.  The RCMP Identification Office is also located in Halifax, and just having to make one trip from CFB Shearwater to run back and forth to get something or to transport exhibits over the bridges, through downtown traffic, etc., involves a significant amount of time and effort. 

> I hope that concerns about the move are a moot point, but I thought I should point them out just in case they might have slipped through the cracks.

> John 


            In answer, the following was sent:

From: "Tom Juby" <>         To: "John GARSTANG" <>

Subject: Time Line for March     Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:08:04 -0400

 John, in answer to you email of this morning, the following is offered up as a guideline only:

The following items are still on my list of TTD

Mylar/Tedlar examination -  Because of the weather, I have been unable to put the time into this project yet, as access to the hangar is restricted at times due to snow.  This will take two to three days of work, with timeout to deal with other minor tasks for photo, etc.

Business Seat examination -  Not started, but again will take one to two days.

Microtrace Exhibits -  Exhibits to be identified and located, collected, recorded, and packaged.  This will take at least two days.

Burn Test Exhibits -  Exhibits to be identified, located, collected, photographed and exhibited, recorded, then packaged.   This will take at least two days.

T-Shirt matter -  Exhibit to be retrieved including Customs paperwork, photography, recording, sampling, packaging for Microtrace.  At least Ĺ day.

Wire Collection for Jim FOOT -  Depending on number of wires, they have to be located in 'J' Hangar, retrieved, photographed, recorded, and packaged.  Because of 'J' Hangar, plan on two hours per sample.

Photo processing/Cataloguing -  Half day.

CD sorting for CAD team - At least one day over the three weeks.

Exhibit handling for CAD team - At least one day over the next three weeks.

The above list accounts for nearly three weeks of work (about 14 days), and that is only if I don't find anything of interest in the seats or Mylar.

These are only ballpark figures, and they depend on sunny days.  Hope this gives you something to work with.

            This was sent out this afternoon just after lunch.

            The table from yesterday was revised as follows:










0514 / 0515






Deflector & Canvas Shield



3012 / 3013


96-97, 108-109, 113-128



Plastic Drip Shield



3736 / 3736




Deflector & Plastic Shield



3736 / 3736




Deflector & Plastic Shield



3005 / 3004


108-111, 130-133



Shield in foreground



1690 / 1688


16, 24




Deflector, no shield (removed for D-check?)



1692 / 1693

36, 69-70




Deflector, no shield (removed?)



1704 / 1674


77-82, 96-102, 122-132




Deflector, no shield (removed?)




0136 / 0135


79, 90-93




Deflector, no shield



2601 / 2602


17, 71-85 (Robertsonís Photos)



Deflector, no shield




REVISED 01-03-07

            It will be printed off and made available to Ted tomorrow along with the CDís involved.

(Clarification:)  The table shows the aircraft examined that still retained a protective shield over the wire run at the forward right door.  The shield had been ordered removed because it was redundant.  A deflector had been installed to ensure that the door didnít damage the wire runs when it was raised.  However, it was one of those tasks that need not be completed until the aircraft went in for itís ĎDí check.  Looking at the aircraft IDís, one could easily assume that HB-IWF (Vaud) still retained the shield.  If so, then this would have been an ideal location on which to place incendiary material that would have created a fire that lasted several minutes before wires became involved, thus causing circuits to short out and fail.

This shows the black metal deflector in place without the shield.

This shows the black metal deflector in place with a shield or shroud still in place to its left.




  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *


------------ TIME LINE ------------